WOW! All I can say is WOW! After seeing such support from family & friends within a 24 hour period, I can’t believe how lucky I am. Launching this blog has been a huge dream of mine for quite some time. After following some favourites, and after reading several posts, I decided to dive in and just give it a shot! Since I want to add some serious content to my blog, and because I want you all to know just how grateful I am, I decided to jump the gun a little and post yet ANOTHER recipe!
Today’s dish is all about the favours I mentioned yesterday – cilantro, lime, garlic, cumin, black pepper… basically a party in a bowl if you ask me. This homemade salsa recipe doesn’t require a ton of prep, but man oh man does it taste amazing after! In fact, I made it this past weekend, and served it up to my mom as a side to our Bacon, Mozzarella & Tomato Grilled Cheese sandwich (yes… that too will be coming here). I even gave some #sneakpeaks on Twitter, Facebook & Instagram!
This is an easy appetizer or side dish that can serve many, many people, or you can simply keep it all for yourself. It lasts about 5 days in the fridge.
Now for the good part – the recipe! All of the spicy flavours added in this dish are because I like a little heat, but you can adjust to your own preferences with out loosing the roasted flavours 🙂
- 1 whole bulb of garlic (skin still on)
- 1½ cups of corn (if frozen, defrost)
- 1 -2 jalapeño peppers (optional)
- 15oz can of black beans (I like using reduced sodium)
- 4 roma tomatoes
- ½ large red onion
- half a bunch of cilantro
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp chill powder (optional)
- juice of 2 limes or about 2-3 tsp
- koesher salt
- fresh black pepper
- Set your oven on Broil High (or the highest setting you can). While that pre-heats, in a small bowl mix corn, 1 tsp of olive oil and all of the smoked paprika. Stir until everything is coated. Slice jalapeño in half and remove seeds (be careful when you do this as the seeds and any juice from it will be hot. Wash hands immediately after). Rub ¼ tsp olive oil over the entire thing. Place cut side down on baking sheet lined with tin foil. Pour corn on the same baking sheet and add garlic bulb (with skin on).
- Place in oven on the top rack (closest to the top) and WATCH WATCH WATCH! Don’t let anything get TOO black, but you want the peppers & garlic to be charred. I put my corn back in to get a little more roasted after the other items were done.
- Now run and find your prettiest bowl! I always love great kitchen pieces when I’m making something that I will be serving to company or even just for Clint and I. When it comes to the garlic, remove all the skin and you will be left with delicious, roasted garlic. Mince all of it, and add to the bowl. Dice the charred peppers and do the same along with the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice, black beans, and roasted corn. Add salt, pepper & cumin. Give everything a good stir and taste it! Then you can decide if you want the chill powder. For us, it was a must.
- Mix well and make sure everything is coated in all of the delicious flavours and put in the fridge.
But we don’t stop there! Now to add a little extra pizzaz and show off your culinary skills, time for the Sea Salt & Pepper Tortilla Chips!
Reset your oven to 400 degrees.
For these little beauties you will need:
- 4-6 small tortillas (the 7-inch ones)
- Olive oil
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
1. Cut your tortillas into triangles… so cut in half. Then cut those halves in half. Then do it again. Ta da!
2. Place the cut tortillas onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Pour olive oil into a little bowl, and brush on each tortilla triangle. Sprinkle with sea salt & pepper.
3. Pop into the oven for about 8 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy. Remove and cool.
Lastly, sit back, grab a glass of whatever you prefer, and enjoy your delicious homemade Roasted Garlic & Black Bean Salsa with Sea Salt & Black Pepper Tortilla Chips!