Hello Friends & Foodie Mamas followers! What a round up we have for you today… there are just so many awesome things you can do with squashes and we plan on sharing just a few options with you! That’s right, our ingredient this month is the summer squash… and I chose to highlight zucchini! I was on the fence with this one because I didn’t want to do the same old, but to be honest – that’s all I really knew to do! I feel like this time around I really pushed myself to make something summer worthy… and I don’t think I disappointed. Today I share with you Grilled Zucchini Bruschetta. Please make sure you read all the way through, because if this doesn’t get your boat floating, I’m sure one of my awesome fellow Foodie Mama Bloggers can peak your interest with a new twist on a summer staple!
Everything about this recipe happens in a cooler kitchen, and on the barbecue. Have I mentioned yet how much I love my barbecue?! It’s where most of my summer happens, and I couldn’t be happier when something is grilled to perfection! This easy appetizer is perfect for any time, and was a huge success with my kids and my mom! Yup! My mom! I made this dish for lunch for us and we could barely eat it all… she may have brought the left overs home to enjoy later that evening 🙂 I hope you enjoyed it mom & dad!!
- 1 small zucchini
- 2 vine tomatoes
- 3 tbsp fresh chives chopped
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 multigrain baguette
- 1 tsp Sunflower Oil (optional, feel free to sub in more EVOO)
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- 1/4 cup Feta Goat Cheese
- Start your grills! Start your BBQ and get to medium heat.
- Slice your baguette lengthwise in half. Brush with extra virgin olive oil.
- Slice your zucchini in half lengthwise. Brush with sunflower oil (or more evoo), and sprinkle pepper on the cut side.
- Dice the tomatoes. Add to a small/medium bowl. Add the chives, olive oil, salt & pepper.
- On the grill, place the zucchini and baguette cut side down. Grill until you see grill marks. Remove bread and set aside. Flip zucchini until the green side is grilled as well (you want to make sure your zucchini is cooked all the way through, so it should be a little soft in the middle if you push on it).
- Once done, dice the zucchini into small pieces (close to the size of the diced tomato). Add to the tomato mixture.
- Take a garlic clove and rub it all over the baguette (it will soften the bread a little and give it a nice garlic flavour).
- Cut the baguette into slices and add the zucchini topping.
- Top with crumbled or cut up feta goat cheese and serve.
It took about 20 minutes or so to make this from start to finish, but it was so good. This take on an italian classic really brought out the fresh flavours of the summer, and was so good, I can still taste it as I’m writing this post! If you saw any of my recent Instagram you will see that I recently had my ‘local produce box’ delivered. Everything except the cheese & olive oil came from that box. I added on a local artisans multigrain baguette (to my order), and couldn’t have been happier about it! Everything about todays recipe is local, and fresh… couldn’t have asked for more.
But we’re not done there my friends! Oh no! Like I said, My Foodie Mama friends have joined us again for another recipe round up which means there are more tasty recipes below!
Deepkia from Easy Baby Meals was the ingredient selector this round, and she is joining us today with her Zucchini with Peas Pesto.
Next we have Sabrina from Dinner, Then Dessert. She chose to make Zucchini & Mushroom Chicken.
Today, Kim decided to make Crispy Zucchini with Honey Mustard Aioli. You can find this and other awesome recipes on her blog Feed Me Seymour.
And we can’t miss out on Chrissie from The Busy Baker. She’s sharing her take on summer squash with these decadent Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins.
Thank you guys so much for stopping in today! I hope all of these awesome recipes inspire you to create something new in your house, or try one of these amazing zucchini-inspired recipes. The weekend is coming up so perfect time to kick back, relax and enjoy some great meals with your family & friends!