Well, I’m back at it today, with part two of the Cook Once, Eat Thrice: Mexican Style Chicken Edition. If you’re not sure of what’s going on, make sure you check out the first part of this series. You will get a little more idea of what I’m working on, along with the original chicken recipe. That will be key when making todays meal.
I love a good classic comfort meal, and today will not disappoint, but i’m adding a little twist on it! Meal #2 for you today is Mexican Chicken Baked Mac n’ Cheese!
- 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 small white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- swirl of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups of 2% milk
- 6 tbsp flour
- 15 oz can of black beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cilantro
- 2 cups macaroni: reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 cups of jalapeño cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup of old cheddar cheese shredded.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Start a pot of boiling water, and cook pasta according to directions. Make sure when you’re done cooking you reserve about 1 cup of pasta water.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add olive oil, and sauté garlic and onions. Once clear and translucent, melt butter (the oil in the pan will help protect the butter and not let it burn).
- Add flour and whisk until all the melted butter is soaked in. Add milk and stir over medium heat until thickened. Add chilli powder, paprika, and cumin.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and stir in 2 cups of jalapeño cheddar cheese. Once cheese is melted, stir in macaroni, corn, beans and chicken. Add cilantro.
- Pour into an 11 x 15 inch pan and top with remaining cheeses. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly.
A simple mac n’ cheese has been turned into a mexican fiesta! Now in my pictures, you will see two containers. I actually made this for Clint and the girls, and divided it between a 9 x 11 dish and 7 x 5 freezer dish. This fed the family one night (with no left overs) but I have a smaller version stashed in the freezer for when Hazel comes and I have no clue what to make!
There we have it ladies & gentlemen…. two meals done with little to no work. You are changing up the dinner routine without going crazy and scrambling to find a meal. Part 3 is next, and trust me… it’s another good one!
Thank you so much for stopping by today! I really appreciate you coming back, or welcome to a new reader! I’m always interested in what you have to say so please leave a comment below, or drop me a line! I can’t wait to hear back from you, and any suggestions are always welcome! Have a great week!