I know I know… you are thinking how easy is this? And really – that’s the point! Summer is inspiring with all of the fresh flavours and seasonal fruit and vegetables. I always can find a million and one ways to take a vegetable and turn it into 2-3 meals… and that’s exactly what happened today!
First off I want to start by giving a HIUGE shout out to my Foodie Mamas blogger friends. Their recipes with the epic zucchini were downright delicious and creative. I always love seeing how people can take one thing and change it into something I would have never though of! Case in point? Deepika from Easy Baby Meals with her Zucchini and Pea Pesto pasta! With baby #3 on the way, I can tell you right now that I will be checking out her blog for some tasty tips and meal ideas for when Hazel gets old enough to eat. I loved each and every one of their ideas, and it’s truly an honour to be featured with each of these awesome bloggers every month.
Now to todays post! I have once again brought zucchini into our home and have created/re-invented/remade a Grilled Vegetable Sandwich. The prep on this? 15 minutes, the grilling time… about 20 minutes, and then you are done! I wanted to make sure this bad boy had a lot to offer and not just a few vegetables and that’s it. I wanted the layer of flavours to blend together and create something restaurant quality, and I was quite happy with the turn out! I also love that everything is done on the barbecue so my kitchen didn’t heat up once! This particular dish is completely vegan but you can make it, adjust it, and change to suit your family’s preferences.
- Multi-grain baguette (I purchased one that was vegan friendly)
- 1/2 medium sized Zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil (or olive oil), plus more to brush on bread
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 1 cup TatSoi loosely torn, stems removed (TatSoi – to me – is like a mixture of spinach and baby bokchoy)
- Preheat your BBQ to medium heat.
- Make sure the zucchini, yellow pepper, & onion are chopped into bite sized pieces but not so small they will fall through the slats of your barbecue basket (if you have one).
- In a bowl, mix your vegetables with the sunflower oil and salt & pepper to taste.
- If using a BBQ grilling basket, place the vegetables in a basket and place on BBQ. Stir occasionally so the they all get grilled evenly. If not, use tin foil but don’t close the vegetables in. You don’t want to steam, you want to grill them 🙂
- In the meantime, cut baguette open lengthwise, brush with sunflower oil. Place cut side open on the grill and cook until crispy/toasted.
- Once the vegetables & baguette are done, remove from grill. Rub a garlic clove over the toasted side of the bread. On The bottom side of the baguette, spread about 1 cup (or more if you like) of the roasted red pepper hummus. Add the torn TatSoi then top with grilled vegetables. Close with the top of the bread, and slice into 4 pieces.
So easy! To make sure we had starch and ‘heaviness’ to our meal (because sometimes eating vegetables just doesn’t cut it for a dinner meal), we added a simpler baked potato! This was delicious and ended up feeding the two of us… but that baguette was a big one, and so was eating half of it. Clint and I enjoyed it on a week night which was right up our alley. Simple prep, simple cooking, and simply delicious! Very little fuss and muss to this meal, which means it’s a definite weeknight menu planning regular. If you’re not convinced that you or your meal partners will enjoy just having grilled vegetables, add some pre-cooked sliced chicken to kick it up a notch. The way it was, was perfect for us!
Thank you so much for stopping in today. Hazel will be coming shortly (or so I hope… I keep saying that but she’s not here yet), and I will continue to bring you awesome meals for you and your family, but this month and September I will be getting a little extra help from some awesome friends! Make sure you stop by, say hi, and let us know what’s going on with you! I always love to hear from you, and any suggestions are always welcome! Have a great Thursday everyone! Cheers xo