Welcome! Welcome! To all my awesome foodie friends! Today is our monthly recipe round up from none other then my awesome Foodie Mamas! Sabrina from Dinner, Then Dessert chose our monthly ingredient and it’s none other then… CORN! What a perfect seasonal ingredient since you can find it practically anywhere on the side of the road, farmer’s markets, your local grocery store. And the beauty of this this little golden silky nugget? It’s versatile. You’re not stuck JUST eating corn on the cob (although boiled, slathered in butter, and a little salt is my favourite way to eat it)… there are many many ways to enjoy this fantastic summer treat. Today I decided to take “a little ride on the wild side” and mix it up a little, so I’m sharing my recipe for Salted Caramel Popcorn.
WARNING: your house will smell amazing, you will forever be ‘tasting’ the caramel sauce to make sure it’s ‘just right’ and don’t plan on storing this treat for long. The entire container was empty within 24 hours of making it… and it wasn’t just the kids who snuck in a handful here and there.
The awesomeness of corn doesn’t just stop here my sweet and salty friends… keep reading after my recipe to find out what Sabrina, Deepika, Chrissie & Kim came up with as well (it may shed a new golden light onto your dinner plans this weekend!).
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar (I used dark but you can use light of you like)
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- roughly 1 tsp of maldon sea salt for sprinkling (you can choose how salty you want your caramel popcorn to be so this is just a rough estimate totally based on your preferences).
- 1 cup uncooked popcorn kernels
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large pot melt butter over medium heat.
- Add the brown sugar and corn syrup and bring to a rolling boil, make sure everything is mixed well together. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and let sit untouched for 5 minutes. Next stir the mixtures every 30 seconds for about 5 more minutes.
- In the meantime, in a medium sized pot, add olive oil and popcorn kernels. Cook as per the directions. (If no directions provided, with the lid on fitting tightly, I shake the pot every minute or so to make sure the kernels are coated in olive oil, and the popping continues. Cook until popping sound slows down.)
- Once your caramel sauce has turned a lovely golden colour, stir in the baking soda, kosher salt and vanilla extract.
- Remove from heat and add your popcorn. Make sure you use a spatula and gently mix everything in, ensuring the popcorn is covered in the caramel.
- Cover a baking sheet in tin foil and spray with olive oil spray (or your favourite cooking spray).
- Spread the popcorn mixture on the sheet. Make sure it’s evenly spread out. Sprinkle the Maldon Sea Salt across the mixture and place in the oven.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the popcorn is golden. Gently shake the pan every five minutes to ensure even baking.
- Once done, dump popcorn onto a sheet of wax paper to cool. Once it’s cooled, you can break up any larger pieces into bite size tasty morsels.
And that’s it that’s all! You are done! It’s an easy recipe but make sure you stay in the kitchen for this one. You don’t really want to take your eyes off this one because it can go from “done” to “burnt and disgusting” in 2 point 5 seconds and NO ONE likes the smell of burnt popcorn!
But rest assured, when you’re done making this awesome dessert, why not make one of these AMAZING Corn recipes for dinner?!
Sabrina from Dinner, Then Dessert made Cheesecake Factory Corn Cakes!
Chrissie from The Busy Baker brought us a tasty Corn, Avocado & Black Bean Salsa recipe!
Deepkia from Easy Baby Meals took corn to a new level with this Sweet Corn Soup everyone in your family with love!
Do you have any favourite corn recipes you would like to share? Please don’t hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org! Also you can share them on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram! Make sure you use the hashtag #FoodieMamas so we can see what you’re sharing!
Thank you guys so much for joining me again for this awesome recipe round up. Also a huge thank you to my awesome #FoodieMamas friends for stopping in as well. Have a safe and wonderful week, and I can’t wait to share more awesome recipes with you soon!