Happy Friday Everyone! Any big plans for the weekend? We are still waiting for Hazel to make an appearance. I’m officially due on Wednesday, but we were all expecting her to come a little sooner, and low and behold, she’s taking her sweet time. That’s all right because in the meantime, I have been cooking & baking up a storm! Lots to share with you this month… plus I actually sat down last night, and finally did a little housekeeping on the blog. If you notice, you can now see the two latest and greatest recipes featured here. I did keep the Little Ones and Review boxes since they are big parts of the blog as well. Also, you can now hover over the “Recipes” Tab above, and see a Recipe Index. This is where all of the recipes I have created are listed. Easier navigation and easier for you to find that recipe you saw two months ago and have been meaning to make! I have also made sure to separate my Recipe Reviews with the Book Club/Book Reviews. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate! Any suggestions?! I would LOVE to hear them! As for now, I will share with you a new little treat – maybe something working making this weekend?
The Strawberry Rhubarb & Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins I made this week are PERFECT for a quick snack, or to pack in… (dare I say it) back to school lunches! Yes my friends, this “back to school” is coming up sooner then I anticipated, but this year I would like to be prepared somewhat for the mid-week “what the heck am I going to pack on her lunch” song I tend to sing. These only take about 15 minutes to make, and about 25 to bake. They are so easy, don’t require the heavy-duty mixer, and are a great way to use any rhubarb you may have in your freezer!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ white sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- ⅔ cup water
- ⅔ cup rhubarb, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 1¼ cup strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl mix strawberries, rhubarb, honey and cornstarch in a bowl. Let sit while you make the rest of the muffin batter.
- In a large bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients (minus the chocolate chips) together.
- In a small bowl, mix all of the wet ingredients (minus the strawberry mixture) together.
- In your flour mixture bowl, make a well and pour wet ingredients in. Mix using a wooden spoon until your batter becomes sticky.
- Add in your strawberry mixture. Make sure everything is mixed well, and then add the mini chocolate chips.
- Divide between 12 muffin liners, and bake for 25 minutes or until the tops are golden.
- Enjoy with a cup of coffee in the afternoon, grab on your way out the door in the morning, whatever works!
Easy peasy, and delicious! A great way to get more fruit into your diet, but who am I kidding… they are like eating dessert but I don’t feel as bad since it’s a muffin… and muffins can be eaten any time of day! 🙂
Speaking of the whole “back to school” stuff coming up, you will want to stay tuned… I have a new series coming to the blog that will help you with the new schedule you will be on, and making sure you have quality & delicious meals on the table within 20 minutes or so! This is something that will save you both time, and sanity – or at least it’s worked for me so far… ask me how my sanity is doing after Hazel comes, and I have two kids heading to school! EEK!
Thank you guys so much for stopping by today! I really appreciate you coming to check in and see what’s new. If you have any suggestions, recipes you would like to see, or reviews you would like me to test out and get back to you, please don’t be shy, send an email to email@example.com. The summer was unanticipatedly crazy, but as the kids go back to school, I feel like all of our schedules will be more fixed and you will hopefully be seeing more from me in the coming months! Have a great weekend!