If you haven’t heard already, Fall is my absolute favourite season. the colours, flavours, the fun and cute clothes that come around… don’t get me wrong, I can come up with a list of at least 5 things I love about each other season but there’s something so refreshing about fall. Maybe it’s because I always loved school, and I still get excited this time of year and purchase some fun stationary or office supplies because all the ‘new and amazing finds’ come out this time of the year. My fellow #FoodieMama Kim was up for selection this month and she decided apples were the go-to ingredient. [Insert a small squeal of excitement along with many pounds of apples purchased] What can I say? I heart apples and pretty much all fall inspired favours!
It was a tough pick for me as I had 3 or 4 ideas that I really wanted to make, but finally settled on two… because apples are so delicious, and so versatile, I couldn’t just settle on one dish! Today I’m sharing my take on apples with my Apple & Maple Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Apple Cheddar Panini’s! #HelloFall
This was definitely a success here at our place. Clint and the girls really enjoyed both parts of the apple meal and Clint suggested that this would make an awesome lunch if we were to have guests over. Sounds like a good excuse to me! 🙂 But please, after reading my recipe don’t forget the creative recipes don’t just stop here. You will find all my fellow #FoodieMamas apple-inspired dishes below! Make sure you stop by and say hi!
- one small butternut squashs
- 2 tbsp each of melted butter & maple syrup.
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 apples, peeled & chopped.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 – 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 panini rolls
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp olive oil
- half an apple
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- Preheat you oven to 400 degrees. Chop the squash into bit sized pieces. In a medium sized bowl mix melted butter and maple syrup together. Add squash and stir to coat. Lay in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parch mane paper. Roast for 20 minutes flipping once.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil and butter. Add diced apples and onions. Stir until soft.
- Add roasted squash and chicken broth. With a hand held food processor, blend everything to a thick consistency (or how every thick or thin you like your soup).
- Add thyme and cumin. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While your soup simmers, mix dijon mustard, olive oil and mayonnaise in a small bowl.
- Cut panini rolls lengthwise and spread mixture on one side.
- Add one slice of cheese, half of an apple thinly sliced, the next slice of cheese. Top with the bread and place in a pan over medium heat. Flip once, and press with your spatula to mke sure cheese melts into apple slices.
- Serve with a bowl of soup, and enjoy!
These two oh so tasty meals can be enjoyed together or on their own, but no matter how you slice it… you still get some amazing flavours and a satisfied tummy!
Thank you so much for stopping by today! Like I said, the recipes don’t stop here. Kim, Chrissie, Deepkia & Sabrina are all on deck and ready to share with you their take on the fruit of fall!
Let’s start with Deepkia from Easy Baby Meals and her awesome Chocolate Covered Apple Bites!
Next up we have Chrissie from The Busy Baker Blog. She shared her awesome Apple Caramel Cupcakes!
Sabrina from Dinner, then Dessert decided here take on apples would end up to be Armenian Apple Chunk Cake!
Thank you guys for stopping by today! Don’t you just love the fall flavours and fun recipes that have been popping up all around us?! If you have any great suggestions, comments or really anything else you would love to share, comment below! I really appreciate you taking the time to stop by and read what’s new and exciting here! Thanks again and we will chat soon!!