I love appetizers. They make the perfect ‘meal’ when you have two or three made up together, or are perfect for something light if you’re not in the mood for a full meal. This past summer my girlfriend Suzie and I took a morning trip out to Garlic Fest in a small town about 20 minutes from my house. We got to taste amazing garlic (yes there are many flavours), and really it was a perfect day to enjoy the beautiful sunshine! While we were perusing the stalls and taking in all of the garlic in its full glory, I stumbled upon a jar of Garlic Scape Jalapeño Jelly. #Amazing It really was the inspiration of todays dish, Sweet & Spicy Tomato Tart.
This simple appetizer is perfect for a quick snack for company or to share over a glass (or two) of wine and great conversation. It’s light so you won’t feel stuffed if you’re going to serve dinner after, but trust me, the layers on this really pack a punch!
- 2-3 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup of ripped and loosely packed, fresh basil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 roll of puff pastry
- 1/4 cup herb goat cheese
- 1/4 cup garlic scape jalapeño pepper jelly (or the flavour of your choice)
- salt & pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out your puff pastry to fit your parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Brush with oil, making sure to leave space about an inch or two from all four edges.
- Add half the basil, and top with sliced tomatoes leaving that same 1-2 inch space around the edges. Fold the edges over covering the side of the tomatoes.
- Season with salt & pepper, and bake for about 20 min or until puff pastry is puffy and golden brown.
- Once done, remove from the oven and add remaining basil and top with pepper jelly & goat cheese.
- Cut into squares and serve!
I made this one afternoon when my cousin Kelly & Aunt Teresa were visiting my mom. It was a great appetizer for all of us to enjoy, and no one was worried about ruining their appetite for dinner. I still have one sheet of puff pastry left in my freezer and I THINK I have an awesome idea of what to do next! In the meantime, I hop you enjoy this quick and easy appetizer. I love that it’s a little rustic and you really don’t need to be precise what so ever!
Thank you guys so much for stopping by! I can’t believe thanksgiving is comping up in just a few days! DO you have any special plans or traditions? A sneak peak coming up this October on the blog: soup soup soup! I love soup on cool fall days! More of a few of my favourites. Book review! An amazing book i’m reading now that I can’t wait to dish about… and much more! Keep an eye out… the Cook Once, Eat Thrice series is also making a come back and I know you won’t be disappointed! I hope you all have an amazing day and we will chat soon!