What a couple of weeks… thank you my dear friends for your patience. Long story short, a family member was hospitalized over a ruptured spleen and the battle still continues, but things are looking up! Now that our routine is a little more back to normal, and I’m half way to organizing my office (a task I thought might take 2 days, is now stretching to two weeks)… I have set everything aside, and have missed writing, cooking and sharing with you. I thought I would share a recipe that was an absolute massive hit in our home – Jalapeño Popper Mashed Potatoes.
Taking two dishes that I love, and combining those flavours really made our dinner stand out! Who does;t love the comfort of mashed potatoes? And frankly, I love a good appetizer… so it just made sense to merry these two flavours together.
- 3 lbs of white baking potatoes
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup jalapeño flavoured cream cheese
- 1/4 cup no-salt added chicken broth
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Sour Cream (optional)
- Green Onions (optional)
- Boil potatoes until cooked through (they are soft when you pierce with a fork).
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl add potatoes, cream cheese and mix until blended (I use my stand mixer for this part). Add broth and continue to mix until potatoes are fluffy.
- Stir in 4 slices of bacon, and add salt and pepper.
- In an oven proof dish, add the potatoes. Top with grated cheese, and remaining bacon. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Top with sour cream and green onions if desired, and serve warm.
I loved this! It was fairly easy, and delicious. I found the heat level on this wasn’t too crazy. I didn’t give it to my girls since it was jalapeño cream cheese and didn’t want to burn their little mouths. If you wanted to kick it up a notch, add a seeded jalapeño pepper in the bowl when you’re mixing it with the cream cheese and broth.
I served this tasty treat with chicken one night and it was the perfect kick as a side dish!
Since I mentioned about my family member unexpectedly ending up in the emergency room, about 2 weeks ago, I haven’t been able to share my halloween recipe… so it will be coming… just a little late (i love it so much I just really, really want to share). Keep an eye out for that, plus I have a book review, and November’s Cook Once, Eat Thrice series will be here before you know it! Thank you my dear friend for stopping by today and saying hi. I hope you have a wonderful week and we definately will chat soon!