Winter is here no doubt about it, and I am always looking for delicious ways to make breakfast a little more inspiring (and warm). It always helps me start the day off right AND prevents making poor food choices through out the day (like say… scarfing a bag of chips at 2pm because I’m so HANGRY… who’s with me?!). This is a little like dessert for breakfast which makes it really awesome, but isn’t super jam packed with tons of sugar – a little is always ok in my books!
This also makes an excellent lunch if you’re planning an outdoor adventure in the afternoon and what something that’s going to stick!
You’re looking at about 2 decent sized servings, or 4 smaller serving if you want to serve something else along side.
- 3/4 cup of quick cooking oats (not instant)
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 Asian Pear (or two smaller ones), thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- In a medium sauce pan bring the water to a boil. Slowly add oats staring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a pan over medium heat melt butter. Add pears and cook until soft.
- Add honey, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- When the oats are cooked, stir in brown sugar.
- Divide oatmeal into two bowls, and top with the warm pear mixture.
It’s a simple and satisfying recipe that will have tummies warm, and hunger satisfied for your day! It really is the perfect start to the day, and on cooler days, I like to make this for the girls before they go to school.
As i’m writing this, I’m sitting and looking outside at the beautiful snow, and am thinking – it’s time for a treat! I think it’s about time to whip up a Simple Café au Lait! Thank you so much for stopping in today! What do you like on your oatmeal? I love how versatile it can be and there’s nothing better them simple and warm ‘treats’ to get a person through the colder days! Have a wonderful Thursday everyone!