It’s winter, it’s cold, and all you read about these days is to warm up with oatmeal, hot chocolate, tea, coffee… and heavy dinners. All of that is pretty much natural instinct which isn’t always a bad thing, but there are days that I get sick of eating heavy meals. That oatmeal, or stew just isn’t going to cut it, and that’s when I bust the blender out of the cabinet and make this delicious (and surprisingly good for you) smoothie bowl. Who knew that you could sneak so many delicious and healthy thing into one morning (or lunch) bowl of ice cold goodness?! 😉 This really isn’t something that I made every day, but once a week I like to shake up my morning and make something a little more unexpected and that is where this comes in!
I stumbled upon this amazing mixture combo of frozen fruit at my grocery store, and the thought of this smoothie just hit looking at it. So I snatched it up, brought it home and turned it into cool deliciousness! This smoothie bowl has a little bit of everything in it including this Lightly Sweetened Granola, and really makes it a good way to start the morning. You can make any changes you need to but I strongly suggest you try it as is before you make any adjustments.
- 1½ cups (total) frozen cherries, blueberries & blackberries
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup fat free vanilla yogurt
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 large handful of spinach
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional – I would NOT suggest adding this if you plan on giving or sharing with kids)
- ¼ cup Lightly Sweetened Granola
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ½ banana, sliced
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- In a blender add frozen fruit, banana, juice, yogurt, chia seeds, spinach & protein powder (if using).
- Blend until mixed thoroughly. Pour into a bowl.
- Add toppings & serve immediately. Enjoy!
It was an amazing start to the day, but could easily be for lunch, or a post-workout meal. The protein powder helps if you’re working out, and want to maintain a healthy food balance (and need to refuel after exercising), but it’s not necessary to enjoy this. Do you have any go-to smoothie recipes that are a total must?!