Who doesn’t love eggs and sausages in the morning… but do you really have time on a Tuesday morning while you’re running around the house trying to get ready for work to whip up a full breakfast? Yea… I didn’t think so.
These are perfect for breakfast, and great for a lunch. It takes about 20 minutes to prep, 25 to bake and you have easy breakfasts or lunches for the week. Meal prep at its finest! Now you can really add just about anything you want to these, but this sausage, onion and pepper combination is my personal favourite!
If you’re a regular here, you know that I like to really stitch my groceries out, I hate wasting food. You can see that through my Cook Once, Eat Thrice series. Another example is today! If you noticed in my Italian Stuffed Peppers, I used 3 italian sausages. They typically come in a pack of 5. While you can freeze the remaining two, I chose to use them the next morning in these egg muffins.
- 2 Italian Sausages
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup onion, diced
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup orange pepper, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided equally
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a non-stick frying pan, crumble sausage and cook until no longer pink. Remove from heat when done.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan, whisk together eggs, milk and baking powder until frothy.
- Add spices, vegetables and 1/2 cup cheese. Mix well. Add cooked sausage.
- Pour into a greased muffin tin (hint: use a soup ladle to fill each space).
- Top with remaining cheese and bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until tops are golden.
This is a great source of protein and will help start your morning off right. You can easily pack these for lunch and add a slice of toast or a side salad to help round out the meal. One hour of cooking makes your week just that much easier and who doesn’t like that? If you want to save some for later, or breakfast on the go, wrap each in cellophane wrap (tightly) and place in a freezer bag. They are perfect to grab out of the freezer when you’re on the way out of the door. They will be defrosted by about the time you get to work!