Ok, so it’s Sunday and you’re trying to figure out what you’re going to make for dinner tonight… yup, it’s only day one of a week that you are (somewhat) required to make dinner…. each… and… every… night. #HittingHeadAgainstWall
What if I gave you a recipe that would make a few dinners this week easy? Yup, I said it… easy. Plus, you could freeze some for a rainy day and have another easy dinner in say… two weeks from now. Intrigued?
Today I’m going to give you the main event… the part that does take a little time, but will save your butt through out the week, and I know your family will love them. We’re making big batch meat sauce.
Warning: your house will smell amazing for hours and you may find that family members may wander in asking to test out what’s in the pot!
- 2 lbs Italian Sausages (hot or mild, your choice)
- 2½ lbs lean ground beef
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp oregano, dried
- 1 tbsp thyme, dried
- 2 28oz cans of crushed tomatoes
- 2 398mL cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 tbsp olive oil.
- In a large (as big as you have) pot, add all of the meat and start browning over medium heat.
- Once that is complete, remove the meat with a slotted spoon. Depending how much fat you have left in your pot, either drain some, or leave it all so the bottom of the pot is coated, but you don’t have an inch of fat in the bottom. Add the olive oil, green peppers and onions. Cook until soft.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking until everything is fragrant with little bits of brown.
- Add the tomatoes one can at a time ensuring you scrape up all the little brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the thyme, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Add the sausage and ground beef back into the pot, and bring everything to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, add the bay leaves, put the lid on, and let simmer away for about an hour and a half to two hours.
Since this was a fairly labour inside meal, the best thing to make with this epic meat sauce is Spaghetti!
My kids absolutely LOVED the spaghetti dinner we had this night.
Wait a second, didn’t I say I would get a few more meals out of this? Absolutely! Make sure to try out the amazing Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Boats and the Italian Sloppy Joes that all come from this one base! Win-Win-Win!