What a weekend! Let me tell you I was still recovering from it yesterday and ended up taking a nap on the couch… oops! We had Audrey’s 5th birthday party – a cooking party where kids made pizzas from scratch (dough and all), and chopped their own vegetables, and decorated their own cupcakes (to take home). Now, three days later, I feel refreshed and ready to keep going #motivation. If you recall in January, I wrote about not making resolutions, but making realistic goals. I wasn’t going to “drop that last 10lbs” or “promise to start taking up yoga 6 days a week”. I set out personal goals for the year and I’m proud to say after little wavering in the month of March… and a little in April (I need to be honest ;)), I’ve jumped BACK on track and am feeling fantastic.
What is it that you do strictly of yourself? What is it that makes you get out of bed each morning (besides those little munchkins asking for the 100th time what’s for breakfast)? I have read a million and one times in magazines, newspapers, online, blogs… you name it… that you need to take and make ‘me time’. I am a firm believer of that, and when life gets crazy or stressful, I make sure to carve out 10 minutes in a day to myself.
What does all of this have to do with Taco Salad? Well it’s simple. When I eat better, I feel better. I have more energy and can more able to keep up wth my kids. Also delicious food that is healthy make you want to eat it… more then just once. Dry salad with wilting leaves and some bland veggies does NOT make me feel like that meal was fulfilling. Who’s with me? So I’m sharing with you a delicious salad that brings together my love of Mexican food with the reality of eating better… making smarter choices if you will.
- boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tbsp low-sodium taco seasoning
- ⅓ cup corn
- 6 grape tomatoes, quartered
- ⅓ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- ¾ head iceberg lettuce
- 4 tbsp shredded, low-fat cheese
- 4 tbsp fried onion bits (optional)
- 1tbsp hot sauce (I used Frank’s)
- ¼ fat free greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp skim milk
- 2 tbsp ranch dip mix
- Heat a grill pan (or your bbq) to medium heat. Place chicken breast on pan, and sprinkle with half of the taco seasoning. Cook for about 10 minutes, flip and add the rest of taco seasoning. Continue cooking until cooked through and the juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing: In a small bowl add hot sauce, greek yogurt, skim milk and ranch dip mix. Whisk together. Set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl add the lettuce, corn, grape tomatoes and cilantro.
- Once the chicken is cooked, let cool and chop into bite sized pieces. Add it to the bowl of salad ingredients.
- Add the dressing to the bowl and stir around. Divide into four bowls. Top each bowl with 1 tbsp of cheese and 1 tbsp of fried onion bits (if using).
And there you have it! A fantastic lunch or dinner ready to keep you on track, feeling full, and ready to tackle the afternoon! To make this thread of time if you’re looking to plan a few lunches ahead, simply make the chicken and the salad minus the dressing, cheese and fried onion bits. Divide it into 4 containers. In a separate bowl mix and divide the dressing into four separate containers. When you’re ready for lunch simply add the dressing, shake in the container and top with cheese and fried onion bits (if using). Perfect as a take along for lunches at work, on the go, or if you’re just trying to save some prep time come lunch time through out the week!
What are your go-to lunch ideas to stay healthy and feeling great?
Also the protein in this will help with the mid-afternoon sugar cravings! Can I say anymore about this?! I hope you have a wonderful day everyone!