Guess what?! Only two more days until Cinco De Mayo! YEAY i’m so excited! yet ANOTHER reason to whip up some delicious Mexican food. I could literally eat it every night of the week if I wasn’t worried about some complaints from family members! Who’s with me?
But as I am trying to stick with my eat right, and make healthy decisions f=goal for 2016, I want to make sure that I’m making smart choices (as well as delicious ones), and that’s where I got the idea to lighten this classic up. Now to be honest, I’ve had hues rancheros many different ways. I’ve had them with corn & black beans, or with refried beans. I’ve had them over top of scrambled eggs or the egg cooked right into the topping, but today I wanted to keep it simple with fresh flavours.
After all that’s my favourite part of Mexican food – the bright colours and fresh flavours.
Serves: 2 | SmartPoints: 5 (including 1 tbsp cheese & sour cream)
- 2 whole wheat or white tortillas
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped red or orange pepper
- 1 tsp chilli infused olive oil (or regular olive oil if you don’t want any spice)
- 1/2 small white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smokey paprika
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp of low-fat cheese & fat-free sour cream (to top at then end – optional)
- 4 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped (to top at end – optional)
- In a non-stick pan, ver medium-high heat, spray a little pam and add tortilla. Brown on one side, and flip. Once both sides are browned reserve to a plate.
- In another pan, add chilli-infused olive oil. Over medium heat, add garlic, onions, peppers, and tomatoes. Stir until tomatoes start to break down. Add salt, pepper, cumin & smokey paprika.
- Once the tomatoes have totally broken down, turn heat to low and get your eggs going.
- You can do this in the original pan you used to toast the tortillas. Spray a little olive oil spray and crack egg open over medium heat making sure not to break the yolk. Add about 2 tbsp of water in the bottom of the pan, and cover with a lid for about 2- 3minutes until the whites are cooked but the yolk is still runny.
- To assemble: add egg on the toasted tortilla. Top with warm tomato mixture. Sprinkle 1 tbsp low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of fat-free sour cream, and about 2 tbsp fresh cilantro. Serve warm!
Don’t you love when easy & healthy meals come together in less then 30 minutes?! My girls love this, and when they were younger, I would serve them everything minus the tortilla (to hard to cut up), and would substitute a slice of toast for them! It was like breakfast for dinner.
This light meal is perfect for quick weeknight dinners or to serve for breakfast. Do you love Mexican food? What is your favourite dish or type of food that you could eat non-stop?