So it’s getting that time of year around here, the days are shorter, and air is crisper. I love fall. I really do. I love the colours of the leaves, I love the cooler air, I love thick knit sweaters and cute boots. I love plums, golds, navys and burnt oranges.
I also love comfort food. I love enjoying a day outside with the kids, and coming into the house and enjoying a warm meal. Soup is such an easy meal to make, and by far one of my favourites during the cooler months. There are tons of varieties: cream of, broth, stoup (stew like soup).
French Chef Auguste Escoffier once said,
“Soup puts the heart at ease, calms down the violence of hunger, eliminates the tension of the day, and awakens and refines the appetite.”
I couldn’t agree more. So I joined alongside 8 fabulous other bloggers and came up with a delicious soup recipe that will hopefully turn your mealtime into an enjoyable and satisfying experience.
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 4 medium sized potatoes, cooked (with skins removed)
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth (to make this vegetarian, sub in vegetable broth)
- 1 cup skim milk
- ½ cup fat free sour cream
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a stock pot add the olive oil and sauté the leeks.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth, whisking up any bits on the bottom of the pot. Add the remaining chicken broth and cauliflower. Bring to a boil, and simmer covered about 15 minutes (until the cauliflower is soft).
- Remove from heat and add cooked potatoes. With an immersion blender, puree the broth, leeks and cauliflower together until there are no longer and further chunks.
- Put the pot back over low heat and stir in milk and sour cream. Add thyme and cumin. Add salt & pepper to your taste.
- Serve warm!
A huge thanks to Diana who blogs over at 365 Days of Easy Recipes for hosting this months’ recipe round up! It came at a perfect time, and I know we’ve really been enjoying the cooler nights and comfort foods that come with! We aren’t done yet though! Check out below all of the other amazing Soup Recipes from The Canadian Food Creatives!
- Broccoli and Cheddar Soup by Food Mamma
- Roasted Chicken Minestrone Soup by My Kitchen Love
- Lighter Potato Leek Soup by Fuchsia Freezer – Hey, That’s Me!
- Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup by 365 Days of Easy Recipes
- Cream of Spinach Soup by I Say Nomato
- Miso Noodle Soup by The Refreshanista
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup with Polenta Croutons by Flavour and Savour
- Creamy Carrot Orange Soup with Cashews by Making Healthy Choices
- Roasted Butternut Squash Ginger Pear Soup by She Loves Biscotti