I hate walking in the door after a busy day and looking in the fridge with one big question on my mind: What’s For Dinner? And even worse… I don’t have anything prepared. But here’s the simple solution: store bought salads. We’ve all bought them and used them for dinners, lunches, to bring to a pot luck… you know, as a quick fix? And that’s not a bad thing… but sometimes I want the quick fix with a personal touch. You know, make it look like I really spent some serious time in the kitchen. That’s where this easy salad comes into play. It can be served as a meal, or as a side dish and is under 30 minutes (now isn’t that just a magical term).
I should mention that this post is not sponsored, so I will be sharing the blend of salad I purchased, but feel free to purchase your own preference!
I wanted to start off with this amazing asian inspired plate! I purchased a ginger-sesame salad mix. When I say salad mix, I mean the bag of salad that comes with the dressing and fixings!
To kick this little pre-purchased bag of gold up a notch, I made delicious (and easy) chicken satay skewers to top it. Adding that extra protein easily converts this from a side dish, to the main event. Plus adding my own dressing really makes it something special.
- one bag of asian-inspired salad mix (sesame-ginger is the one I purchased. Save the crunches that come in the bag, discard the dressing)
- 4 wooden skewers (soaked for an hour in water to prevent burning)
- 1 chicken breast, cubed
- 1 cup prepared satay sauce
- ¼ cup red pepper, diced
- ¼ orange pepper, diced
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp green onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 lime, quartered
- sesame-lime vinaigrette (see below)
- In a medium bowl add the chicken breast and satay sauce. Let marinate for 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken to 4 skewers evenly, and broil on high for 4 minutes on one side, flip and continue until juices run clear (or another 4 mins or so)
- In the meantime add all of the ingredients of the vinaigrette into a jar, shake vigorously until everything is combined well.
- In a large salad bowl, add the lettuce from the salad mix along with the cilantro, ¼ cup green onion and peppers.
- Immediately before serving add the dressing and mix well. Divide onto 4 plates.
- Top each plate with ¼ of the salad crunches that come in the mixed salad bag, a chicken skewer, 1 tsp sesame seeds & green onion. Serve with the quartered lime wedge.
Sesame Lime Vinaigrette:
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
What last minute meals do you like to come up with? How about bagged salads? Any favourites? Make sure you come back… I will show you how to update that basic kale salad into something…. spectacular! Thank you so much for stopping by today!