I don’t know about you, but fall is settling in nicely around us. I have to say, I love fall… the colours, the smells, the flavours… the attire! Everything about the season has me kicking my heels up and taking a million Instagram pictures of my feet in leaves (ha ha ha ha just kidding).
I don’t know about you, but fall is settling in nicely around us. I have to say, I love fall… the colours, the smells, the flavours… the attire! Everything about the season has me kicking my heels up and taking a million Instagram pictures of my feet in leaves (ha ha ha h just kidding). I love getting out with the family this time of year since we typically don’t need hats, sunscreen, and shade. We can simply walk and enjoy nature all around us. That’s where this delicious recipe comes into play. Apple Butter is the latest addiction I’ve created in our home. It pairs perfectly with the Apple Cinnamon Waffles I created and shared with you earlier this week for #WaffleWeek2017. You can also enjoy it on top toast, serve a huge dollop over yogurt topped with granola, or just eat it by the bowlful. With the natural sugars in apples, and along with he brown sugar in this recipe, I felt water was a safer bet to help this mixture, but feel free to substitute apple cider or apple juice. Either would work! Make this, and be prepared to have your family hovering in the kitchen asking when it’s ready…
- 10 Gala Apples
- 5 Jazz apples
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups water
- Cube apples, leaving skins on.
- Add the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, and water to a large dutch oven and stir until mixed together.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to low heat. Allow mixture to simmer for 3 hours, stirring every 20 minutes or so.
- Remove from heat and using a hand mixer puree the mixture until smooth (I like leaving a few small chunks and the skin in to add a little texture to the dish).
- Serve warm over waffles, toast, or in a bowl with a spoon!
What a wonderful way to usher in fall. I can’t believe how fast the summer flew by, but I’m all about to welcome fall with open arms & cozy sweaters!! What is your favourite season?