Well I’m back from The Food Bloggers of Canada Conference 2017, and after a week of trying to process all that I’ve learned (and catch back up on some sleep), I’ve really forced myself to look at what it is I want to share with you. Well I am named Fuchsia Freezer, thus I should be providing you freezer meals. But I don’t want to just stop at your typical freezer-friendly meal. I want to share with you some awesome fresh recipes that have freezer components, or recipes that are freezable after you’ve prepared them. So starting today, you will see a shift in how I share my families meals. Now, I can’t guarantee every meal will be freezable in some aspect, but I am striving for a 75% freezable success rate with the recipes I share.
So let’s start with today! I don’t know about you, but fall has finally arrived. I LOVE FALL. I really do. The cool crisp days, the beautiful colours, everything. I also love the food that comes with the fall – and soup is by far a weekly go to for our family. I have two girls in school and I like to try and give them 2 or 3 warm lunches in their thermoses. This crockpot soup is an easy meal to prepare in the morning before work, and even easier to ‘finish up’ before serving. My kids absolutely love this on their lunches, and I even pack a small container of crushed tortilla chips so they can add the crunch before the enjoy the soup!
Freezer Tip: Freeze leftovers in medium sized freezer bags. Fill half way to three quarters, and lay flat in freezer. That should give you about 2 servings. Defrost in the fridge overnight for a quick and easy lunch or dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts (about 1lb)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 540mL can of petite diced tomatoes with black pepper and roasted garlic
- 1 398mL can of salt-free tomato sauce
- 1 540mL can of black beans, rinsed
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 tbsp cumin
- ½ tsp smokey paprika
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- salt & pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: avocado, sour cream, tortilla strips, shredded cheese, hot sauce, cilantro... the possibilities are endless!
- In your crockpot add diced onion, tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans, chicken broth, frozen corn kernels, and spices.
- Give everything a good stir, and add chicken breasts.
- Add the lid and cook on low for 6 hours.
- When time is up, remove chicken breasts. Shred with two fork and return to slow cooker with fresh cilantro. Stir together, and serve warm!
- Enjoy your favourite toppings and dig in!
This fall I’ve been taking Hazel and Clodagh to story time at our local library. This quick dinner makes my mornings (and after school/homework time) easy since I know later that day, it will take literally minutes to complete and serve. That way I can get a delicious, home cooked meal on the table in minutes (save my sanity), and enjoy dinnertime with my family! What are some easy go-to recipes your family enjoys?